Skip page Logo and Brand information to navigation. Skip page header section and navigation, to main content.

How can I claim Moving expenses (military only) on taxes

How can I claim Moving expenses (military only) on taxes

Military personnel who move due to a permanent change of station (PCS) can claim certain moving expenses on their taxes. These expenses can include the cost of packing, shipping, and storing household goods, as well as travel expenses for the service member and their family.

To claim moving expenses on your taxes, you will need to file Form 3903 "Moving Expenses" along with your tax return. This form will require you to provide information about the move, including the date of the move, the distance between the old and new residences, and the expenses incurred. Additionally, you will also need to provide proof of the expenses, such as receipts or bills.

You will also need to meet certain requirements in order to claim moving expenses, for example, you must have moved more than 50 miles away from your old home and the move must be due to a permanent change of station.

It's important to note that if your employer pays for any of your moving expenses, the amount you received from your employer must be reported on your tax return as income.

It's always recommended that you consult with a tax professional or use tax preparation software to ensure that you are able to claim the moving expenses correctly and in compliance with the tax laws.